Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Life of Bagel, in books

This is my lifespan, to be judged by the books I read at the various points in my life. Obviously this lifespan starts roughly around age 7 when I first started reading longer chapter books. The first "big" book I ever read all the way through by myself was "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein. I like to think this book foreshadows one of the major themes of the rest of my life: my fascination with all things Judaism-related.



Once I got over the hurdle from reading "little" books to reading "big" books, I turned into a reading whore. I read anything and everything. I was also a competitive reader in this period. During the summers, my sisters and I would participate in the library-sponsored program that encourages kids to read in the summer. You got various prizes for reading X number of books. Lil Hamilton and I used to "cheat" - we would read our weight in the following books which present the same sort of literary challenge as reading a cereal box:



I quickly grew tired of the Babysitter's Club Little Sister series and then I entered what I consider to be a dark period of my life. The dark period was characterized by all of the following: my very first boyfriend (he broke up with me after two days because I was too scared to talk to him); a boy haircut that lost me significant standing in the 6th grade social hierarchy; my brilliant plan that I was going to write my own book ~ I started several books but never finished one (for the record, every book that I started had within the very first chapter a "long, passionate kiss"); and these books:


There are very few things I did during that period of my life that I am proud of. So let's move on... The next book I recall reading after my dark period remains my favorite book to this day. It also repeats the Judaism-theme:



"The Chosen" began a phase of my "coming of age" obsessions. I read a lot of "coming of age" books while I finished up junior high. Including all of the following:






I choose to end my lifespan in books here. When I went from junior high to high school, I started to fail in my reading choices. I continued to read "good" books - books that I'm not ashamed to admit I read. However, I also somehow failed to read all sorts of "classic" books I apparently should have read. Examples include: Pride & Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, A Clockwork Orange, 1984, Gone with the Wind, Crime & Punishment, One Hundred Years of Solitude, Lord of the Flies, Sense and Sensibility, and the list goes on and on.

For eight years, I had no idea how far I was getting behind in terms of literary prowess until my oldest sister showed up at my college graduation. One night, she turned a lovely shade of drunk and went around telling everyone at our graduation party: "Hi! I'm Bagel's sister. And did you know she hasn't read Catcher in the Rye?" Thanks, Big Colle, love you too.

I have wonderful ambitions of getting caught up on my ineptitude, just as soon as I finish law school. If you have any recommendations of classics I should read, leave them in the comments.

6 comments:

Ginny said...

Did you ever finish To Kill a Mockingbird?

Little Bagel said...

I did. 2L year Christmas. I just couldn't graduate law school without having read that one. So check one off the long list of ineptitude. ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL.

Maxie said...

can you believe that goosebumps books are still around? my nephew is reading them right now.

Elissa Yost said...

Remember our book club to try and read books everyone else had read in high school:) We read the Power of One and the chosen in high school, I believe. Many are impressed when I tell them that we read The Good Earth in high school though. Plus, didn't we read Pride and prejudice during Cavel's class?? along with Jane Eyre.
Love you!! Lissa
P.S. you would love "I am Asher Lev," I can send it to you after I finish it.

CBiermann said...

I remember that Catcher in the Rye incident... if you haven't already, you should really read it; it's a good book.