Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Self-righteous?!?! ME?!?!

Woke up VERY crabby this morning. Yesterday afternoon was all about the unexpected (and unwanted) announcements:

1. Liz got married. A civil union. No clue why. Now she's living with Erik, married to him, and working at Burger King. Will she go back to school in the fall? Who knows. Will she stay at school IF she comes back? Who knows. What the heck is she going to do after she graduates? Who knows. I have nothing against people getting married at the age of 21, I have everything against LIZ getting married at the age of 21. To a guy that she fights with and breaks up with every week. To a guy with no future. To a guy who doesn't speak English. To a guy that will only make graduating and finding a job/residency in the States that much more difficult.

2. My Dad recovered from his heart surgery only to announce plans for his next big cross-country bike trip. Again, I have nothing against his bike trips in theory, but it just means that he's yet again packing up and leaving Courtney and Mollie without any reliable source of income (or sane parent for that matter). It just irks me that if my mom or Amy (my ex-stepmother) had ever wanted to make such a trip or do something crazy like pack up and leave town for months at a time, they never could have done so. They had kids to take care of and raise. Why is that my dad is any different? He's got 5 DAUGHTERS and he acts like he doesn't have a commitment in the world.

ANYWAY, that's what is bugging me this morning. But in an attempt to get beyond being self-righteous and judgmental, this is the last I'll complain of it. Especially since I have yet to have a decent conversation with my Dad or Liz. I'm going to hold my tongue because if what I say won't change how they behave, then there's no reason for me to say it. It'll only be for my own smug benefit later and that's not worth anything in the long run. So wish me luck, cuz I'm terrible at holding my tongue.

1 comments:

Elissa Yost said...

Hey, I miss your family and fourth of July in O'Neill:), I need to do that again soon. Oh and I am taking your reccomendation about the candy very seriously!
-Lissa