Tuesday, July 10, 2007

On to bigger & better

This week I marked the half-way point of my summer job. Today I sent out my third, fourth, and fifth resume/cover letter bundle for a job for NEXT summer. If you haven't heard me go on about this before, (and if you have - bear with me) law school is like being on the most settled and definite of five-year tracks. This August and September I'm going to be interviewing with law firms for my jobs for next summer, and so long as I don't drastically screw things up, that's supposed to turn into my job after I graduate. Plus, it's pretty difficult to switch jobs your first few years out there, so it'll likely be my job for a good 3 or 4 years. The process is so settled that I would guess a good 60% of law students out there are doing the same thing (the others are still looking at public interest, government work, clerkships or the like). I'm not actually complaining - I like how definite it is, and if I can just get a good job in the next few months, then I'll be pretty settled for the next few years or so.

The problem is: WHERE THE FLIP DO I WANNA WORK?!?!?! Last year around this time, I decided that I really wanted to live in Boston. Not sure why, but every time I looked outside (mind you, with my feet planted firmly in Indiana), I felt like Boston was the place for me. The four years before that (the whole time I was at Dartmouth), I kept saying how the east coast wasn't for me, and I wanted to go back to the midwest to be near my family. And now a days, I really like the idea of getting a kick-ass apartment in Chicago. Plus, Mark is selling me on the idea of DC - where the winters are the least heinous of all my options. That's a big plus given that i've spent my last 5 years in the worst winter conditions possible in the continental US.

Location indecisiveness aside, there's also the pay/quality of life difference too. In Boston or DC, I'd likely be getting paid more, a LOT more. (Like on the order of 40K relative to Denver, and 60-75K relative to Omaha.) But life in a big firm is MUCH more easy to manage in Denver or Nebraska than it is on the east coast.

I guess what I'm saying is: does someone want to tell me where to go next summer? I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Oh, and I used to debate the merits of Seattle, but now my stupid sister has a stupid boy who lives in stupid California. ALTHOUGH, word on the street is that he was debating a move to be closer to said stupid sister. Stupid Sister, care to comment?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think I'll move to California. But you're a big girl, and you'd have fun in Seattle whether I were here or not! Just remember there's a more competitive pool here with the law school at UW - is the same true everywhere else?

Go with your gut at any rate. I'm leaning towards Denver since that will be easier on you but it's your call...

Love,
Stupid Sister

Anonymous said...

Come to the south with me! I'm looking at the Carolinas and Kentucky. Good pay, good weather, southern accents, and mint juleps! C'mon. . . you know it's tempting ;^)

Go with the firm that has the best fit for your pro-bono tendencies and love of family law.

Can't believe you're job searching already! I'm jealous! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think you should come back to Denver as well. But that's just me.

I was going to talk to you about it when we were in O'Neill, but Lynn was there and you had other things to deal with.

I think you should still contact MOFO and ask them to go to coffee with you while you are in town. Let them know you are planning on appling in September, but you were going to be in Denver and would like the chance for a face-to-face interview.

Just a thought...

chelle

Elissa Yost said...

St. Louis...hands down:) just thought I would add another place in:)