Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Sister Kate & Sister Liz

So yesterday was the LONGEST work day ever!!!! Plus, I spent a total of three HOURS driving in rush hour traffic. Was late getting to my uncle's for dinner, but I had a good night over all. The reason I was eating there was cuz a friend of the family who happens to be a nun, Sister Kate, was in town with another friend, Sister Liz.

These two ladies were completely fascinating - they are these two older women who are spunky and ridiculously inspiring. Sister Kate works in a parish in Mississippi that is 90% Mexican and extremely poor. Right now, she's organizing efforts to build a church for the parish - one taco sale at a time. Sister Liz works in inner city parishes with predominantly African American populations. The thing is, these two women are probably mid-fifties/early sixties, and don't wear habits or anything of the sort. Instead, they go around in their blazers looking like cute grandmothers - I'm completely in awe of their lifestyle. They have the most amazing stories that make you almost envy their lifestyles....that is, of course, until you remember exactly all that they have to give up. Then I just wonder who in their right mind could dedicate and sacrifice like they do and if I'll ever be devoted to *any* cause like they are devoted to their religion and work.

0 comments: