Tuesday, January 23, 2007

To bowl or not to bowl

I got an email this afternoon that began with the following greeting:

"Law Students:

It is that time again. The best of the year to be a law student . . .Thursday
night bowling!"

My least favorite part of Notre Dame Law School is the bowling. It's really a big deal here. In the fall, there's football games. In the spring, there's bowling.I loved the former; I HATE the latter. I hate rental shoes and I hate the uncomfortable seats and I hate stupidly watching my ball roll into the gutter each and every time I bowl. But I think Lynn got it right when she said that the worst part of bowling is that you have this obligation to react every single time you bowl and there's only so many times you can do the "Aw, shucks!" motion with your arm before you just feel dumb.

The problem is that everyone is doing it. And it won't really kill me..... unless one can die from the foot fungus that comes from rental shoes. So do I suck it up and be social and give up on everything I hold dear? Or do I stand firm and spend my Thursday nights alone and bemoaning the fact that I went to a bowling school and now have to watch Grey's Anatomy all by my lonesome? In the end, I think the peer pressure will get me. Because my anti-bowling sentiments aren't *really* worth pitching a fit about such a "time-honored tradition." Nonetheless, although Thursday nights will probably find me with an obligatory pair of rental shoes on, in my heart and on my blog, I will always be a vehement resister.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't you stage a campaign and find other resisters who, like yourself, would rather watch Grey's on Thursday night???

Anonymous said...

Uh, that was me. Big Colle.

Michelle said...

You are officially a dork.

You can buy your own shoes, if you are that afraid of fungus. And yes, you can die from it - isn't that how old father dear got cellulitis (or however you spell it)? Won't they let you bowl in your socks? You could start a tradition of bowling socks at ND and then you would always be remembered.

On the other hand, I think you would be making a statement by saying no to peer pressure...oh wait...you always say no...never mind. It would be the tradition if you said no!

Hey - I never got those videos of us from Christmas. Was someone going to let me have them??

Anonymous said...

You really should do it. Unless you're on a competitive team (which most people aren't, and you don't seem to care about), it's really much more about the black lights, music, and drinking. There were people on teams last year who didn't actually bowl, just showed up and partied. It's a rocking good time, and not very many people care about the actual bowling, which means you probably won't have to fake react. :)

Anonymous said...

Do it! Seriously, even if you don't bowl, at least try going for a couple of weeks before writing it off. I've known people who couldn't bowl due to injuries, but they still went and had a great time.

Plus, look at it this way: if you don't bowl, you won't know when your friends are going to the Backer. Or, if you do, it will be because they call you and say, "Hey, Bagel! Meet us at the Backer!" And they'll be drunk when they get there, and you will be sober (unless you've been sitting at home drinking alone, but that's an entirely separate issue). And honestly, going to the Backer sober? Nobody wants that! Therefore, it is imperative that you go bowling.