Wednesday, August 02, 2006

End of Summer

Summer's almost over - I leave for Notre Dame in 11 days. Naturally, all that's on my mind is the coming school year. Contributing to this obsession is the following blog, currently being written by a guy who went to Notre Dame in the late nineties.

I thought it would be good to come up with some goals for myself, just so I can come back to them in a year and laugh at myself and how naive I am. So here goes, my goals for myself for the next three years:

1. Law Review - I would really REALLY like to make law review. The top 10-15% of every Notre Dame class makes it on to law review based on their grades alone. The rest of the positions are fought for in a writing competition. If I were really on top of my game and where I wanted to be at the end of my 1L year, I would get a position on law review based on grades alone.

2. Husband - the other day, I asked Miss Kitty when she saw me getting married. Her answer? June of 2010 (apparently she had put some thought into this). That's the year after I graduate law school, so in order to stay on track, the fella will probably have to be someone I meet in law school. However, my goal is NOT to meet my husband but to beat my mom's goal for me and graduate without a fiance. Currently, I'm in the "I like being single" phase of my life and want a chance to get out in the world and make lots of money and enjoy it by myself before I have to share it.

3. Graduation - I would like to graduate Notre Dame feeling more accomplished than I did when I graduated from Dartmouth. That means I want to have 1 of 2 things (but preferrably both): some sort of "cum laude" behind my name in the graduation program and a high paying job. I've decided that in light of my 150,000 dollars worth of debt I'll have at the end of 3 years, morals are going to sit on the back shelf and I'm going to work for money immediately after graduation. Not that I'll be a corporate lawyer - YUCK! But, a private firm with my own office and a hefty paycheck is the aim here.

4. Niece - I would be one hell of an aunt. This is given. Now I expect my sisters to recognize my superior favorite-aunt-capacity and reward it with a niece of my very own. Then I'll be set.

So those are my goals for the next three years. I wonder how unrealistic I'm being... I also wonder how stupid I'm being by publishing these goals for my sisters (ahem, COLLE!) to read and hold me accountable for....

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I wonder when mom thinks the rest of us will be married. Or has she already given up on us?

But, if none of us have a baby in four years, then I guess there IS NO HOPE for us.

Anonymous said...

I am not aligned with #2. Law school would be a very easy time to meet someone and you don't have to share your money if you don't want to... ideally you'd meet someone who makes just as much or more than you, anyway. However, there's nothing wrong with being single for awhile, though I do have to warn you that the dating world is like Forest Gump wandering through the rain forests of Vietnam. Land mines everywhere. Take last night for example. I'm doing my merry business, getting ready to lead an introduction at a Landmark seminar, and who comes in for his seminar? That's right. MFB. Only now he's NMFB, aka not my future boyfriend. But still cute as ever. And plopped himself down next to me to chat until the seminar started.

*sigh* I do try.

Maybe you should try to meet someone in school.

Love,
Colle