Saturday, August 05, 2006

Fred & Milty


Tonight, in a round about way, I discovered this girl's blog which is incredibly touching and heartwrenching to say the least:

Abbie's Kenya Blog

She went to Kenya to help Fred & Milty build a clinic in their home village. Milty and especially Fred were good friends from Dartmouth who started work on this clinic shortly after both their parents died of AIDS. I've known about their clinic for a couple of years now, and have had the link up to its website all summer. But this girl describes Kenya and her experiences in a way that Fred & Milty were always too humble and upbeat to use. She had me in tears more than once tonight, and she really made me ashamed that I never tried to learn more about Fred & Milty's project. Not to mention the fact that the inspiring work that she and Fred & Milty have done all summer really makes me embarassed that I wrote I wanted to abandon my morals to make money. I hope y'all find this blog as inspiring as I do.

(the picture has been one of my all-time favorites since I saw it hanging on Fred's wall my freshman year at Dartmouth - It's Fred and Milton when they were younger, obviously. Updated picture of Fred below - with Angeles and I at homecoming.)

0 comments: