Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Happy Sassy Pink Legs Day!



Growing up in Catholic schools you have to celebrate All Saints Day every year on the day after Halloween. You don't get one without the other, and I think the more dogmatic of Catholics justified the dubious aspects of Halloween with the consolation prize that the next day was a holy day of obligation.

Today, I'm instituting my own version of an Halloween-All Saints Day duo. Yesterday was Notre Dame's Babykiller Day. Every fall, Notre Dame sets up a display right outside the law school doors to honor every "child" that has been aborted:



The first year I saw this, it came shortly after the Torts Fiasco where I was forever labeled a babykiller by my class mates. Hence why I no longer have any patience for the Notre Dame Prolife point of view. Prolife is one thing. Notre Dame Prolife is a whole different phenomenon. Notre Dame's conservatives take their religious politics to an oppressive and hateful level. Lest you think I'm exaggerating, here are a list of my top five favorite moments where Notre Dame Conservatives reminded us all who remains supreme within this law school:

1. Comment from my Constitutional Criminal Procedure Class: "Everyone knows the law only protects murders, abortionists, and unpopular minorities."

2. Comment in the journal office during a heated conversation about universal health care: "Not everyone deserves health care."

3. The day that I learned that premarital sex constitutes grounds for expulsion. It's in the student handbook. This came within the same week that I learned that birth control was only available for "medical purposes."

4. The day that a student told my Property professor that she doesn't care if his son is gay and an abomination, he had better defend her in class when she says homosexuality is an appropriate reason for a landlord to discriminate against tenants.

5. The girl who told me that birth control should be illegal because it is promotes free sexual behavior which is oppressive to women. Coupled with this ND tenured professor's essay on the evils of birth control which I've mentioned before.

What does any of this have to do with Sassy Pink Legs Day? I've decided that since yesterday was my annual reminder that I am in an environment where I never feel quite at home, today is the day where I'm going to celebrate me by doing all things sassy and Bagel-esque. The Catholics have their All Saints Day to make them feel better after the unholiness of Halloween. I have my Sassy Pink Legs Day to make me feel better after the oppressiveness of BabyKiller Day.

4 comments:

lil Hamilton said...

plus you look cute!

You should totally bring those to Dublin - you would fit it!

Katie said...

Oh.Holy.Jesus. Pun intended.

My favorite is that "not everyone deserves healthcare."

Some great ones from the esteemed and (usually) very moderate University of Louisville:

--First year, we had a lovely (just lovely!) fellow classmate inform us that pharmaceutical companies are in business to help people."
--The same lovely person also said that "poverty is not a condition."
--in my Legal Problems of the Poor class, a girl actually said (to my friend): "I don't want to pay for your baby to have healthcare." My personal favorite!

Katie said...

P.S. I'm sorry you have to put up with that B.S. Thank god you're getting out in May!!!

Elissa Yost said...

oh meg...I love you! Maybe I should have this kind of day with my students. :)