Sunday, December 07, 2008

Stir Crazy

Yesterday it snowed all. day. LONG. Which, in theory, makes for a perfect time for me to try and figure out what the heck Fed Tax is all about. (T - 6 days till that nightmare of a final.) In reality, I found all sorts of things to entertain myself for at least 10 minutes of each hour I worked on Fed Tax. In no particular order...

1. National Buy a Book by a Black Author and Give It to Somebody Not Black: a snarky idea created by Carlene Brice mocking the fact that authors are still segregated by race in literature categories; "It might not be easy to actually get them [white people] to read it. Beverly mentioned that her friends were a little scared of the Ebonics they expected to find. But that's why your favorite African American authors really, really need your help. You, who they know and trust, can explain to white friends, neighbors, coworkers, classmates that there are books without Ebonics, and that books by black authors are much like any other book."

2. Brothers and Sisters: nothing says "I don't want to study!" like picking up a new TV show on DVD to watch.

3. Domestication: in the last 24 hours, I've cooked a casserole; cleaned dishes not once, not twice, but three times; went grocery shopping; and made my bed (something I only do when I have to impress a visitor or have nothing else to waste my time on)

4. (This didn't actually occur, but finally drew my attention to all the things I was doing to waste time...) Moving: this weekend, my dad and his fiancé, Sherry, are moving into their recently purchased Bed and Breakfast conveniently located about 30 miles from ND. I told my dad on no uncertain terms would I have any time to help them due to finals. And yet, around 3 o'clock yesterday, I got to thinking, I wonder if they need any help over there...

5. Blogging: in the time it took me to write this post, I wonder how much Fed Tax I might have read?

2 comments:

CBiermann said...

Here's how I've put off working on finals:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=procrastinating-again

Anonymous said...

Are you saying bed makers are time wasters? PUH lease.