Thursday, September 18, 2008

And the winner is...





I've made all the calls and accepted my offer in San Francisco. I'm still a little uneasy about it because it was such a close call. In the end, I want to live in Chicago and work in San Francisco, and since work will likely consume my life, I went with the office where I was happiest. There are still a lot of things I'm worried about though....

1. The California Bar - the passage rate of the Illinois bar is 82%. The passage rate of the California bar is 56%.
2. Earthquakes - my knowledge of what to do in an earthquake is limited to what happened in the Saved by the Bell episode where there is an earthquake and Mrs. Belding goes into labor in the elevator. Wrap the baby in your football jersey. That's all I got.
3. The difference in cost of living - since I would have received the same salary in either state, I'm really going to miss Chicago when I'm paying prices that are close to NYC prices.

Despite these fears, the decision is made (if not totally cut in stone yet), and now all that's left is my 3L year, putting out 3 issues of the journal, and getting through the bar. Piece of cake!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

...mmmmmm, cake....

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok.
1. Bar passage -- there are plenty of unqualified people taking the CA bar. You are not one of them.

2. Earthquakes -- stand in the doorway of your glorious office. And take the stairs down from the 87th floor (not the elevator).

3. Cost of living -- you will save money by only having to buy a summer/fall wardrobe. think of all the boots and coats you won't need (and that you can wear argyle sweaters year round!)!!!! So worth it!

We're picking out a vespa and a scarf for you!!! (I'm excited!)

:-D

Katie said...

congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. Actually, I was looking for a discussion about bagels - sounds weird, I know. But I'm glad I found you. I'm a laywer in Chicago but see San Fran in my future. It's a great city. Although the bar there scares me too. You'll do great. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck - you really couldn't have gone wrong in either city!

And I remember that Saved by the Bell - ha!