Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Every little girl needs a dream to come true

From Elissa's blog: "In other news, it is confirmed that Simon's little cousin, Zahra is going to be our flower girl. She told her Mom it is her dream come true which made me smile. I think every little girl needs a dream come true so I am glad I helped with that one..."

This got me thinking. When I was a little girl, I had a million and a half dreams. I dreamed of being Bette Midler. Then I saw Pretty Woman, and that dream switched to being Julia Roberts. Not in the actress sense, but in the Pretty Woman sense. Of course, I was the dumbest kid in the planet and so I didn't actually catch on to what being Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman meant; all I knew is that I wanted really long boots and fun gloves and a blonde wig. Later, I dreamed that I would be a kindergarten teacher after I made my fortune as an artist, of being president, of being married to Brad Pitt, and of having 15 children. Now I think I can safely say that most of these will never come true (although, if this Dartmouth winter doesn't end soon, I might just drop out and go to my original plan of being Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman). So I'm curious if I was just a ridiculously unrealistic little girl or if I should be concerned with my lack of follow through. Let's hope it's the former.

Anyway, this is my theme for the day and it has inspired many more conversations....

What They Wanted to Be When They Were Little Girls:
Paige - "To grow up and look like anne frank...mission accomplished." (Story behind that one is that it's a miracle Paige and I are even friends b/c of all of the times i told her that she looked just like ann frank when we first met)

Mark - "to have dinner with you and julie tonight at 5:45." and then after i told him my desire to be julia roberts in pretty woman "just remembered my dream -- i wanted to be the guy in the car."

Paul Busket - "To drive an ice cream truck." (We later decided he wasn't ever allowed to fulfill that one, because no matter how pure his intentions, he'd just be a sketchy southern dude trying to pick up young girls.)

Rene - "i had plenty of foolish dreams. and i think they were important to my development, and i'm glad i had them. but i think the point of me having had them was more important than the composition of those dream, you know? that 'sunny optimism' was a good thing in the long run..." (at this point, I stopped reading and promptly fell asleep)

Shaunak - "To be Jesus."

Julie - "a professional color-er (like to get paid to color in coloring books...i took it very VERY seriously)"

....so with the exception of Paige, i think we all proved that dreams were meant to be foresaken.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah - well I dreamed of being a Care Bear, or at least one of the kids that got to visit Care-a-Lot.

Then I wanted to be Meghan from My Little Ponies - from Meghan and Sundance.

Then I wanted to be a barbie. I think that's how my dreams of wedding planner came about.

So I guess bridal show coordinator came close to that dream.

You know, I always wanted to be a Mickey Mouse Club member too. Like Brittany Spears and Christina Agulara (sp?) - I could have been a high paid slut too! And with you being Julia Roberts, we could have made high-paying sluts a family business. ;)

Anonymous said...

Did Mark want to be the guy that was hanging out, tell Julia and her roommate it was his birthday? Or did he want to be Richard Gear?

;)

Anonymous said...

Can I just point out, you titled all those quotations "What They Wanted to Be When They Were Little Girls". So, you either hang out with a lot of transexuals, or you've made a huge typo, or your guy friends don't mind being referred to in the feminine.

Love,
Colle
...whose dream it was to grow up and be uber-smart so she could criticize your every movement. or something.