Tuesday, March 03, 2009

I need to knock on wood more often.

Just yesterday at lunch I mentioned how I don't like long vacations (like months long, á la summer break), and I get really bored during them. My good old friend karma (or as I like to call her, "Miss Let's teach Bagel to shut her trap!") must have been listening. Last night I had a letter from my firm waiting for me when I got home telling me that I won't be able to start work for a full month and a half after I anticipated starting.** Now I can't go back to work until the last week of October. That means I have exactly a 3-month break from the end of the bar until I can start work (5 months from graduation until work), and I don't think my bar stipend is going to stretch that well.

Anyone want to hire me as an (overqualified) waitress for three months?!?




**And before I REALLY give karma something to screw with, I am very grateful for my job and I am currently knocking on wood to preserve at least that part.

8 comments:

Christina said...

Wow.

Wow.

Are you going to be in the office today?

winkingannie said...

Oh that sucks! We can wait tables together in Denver! Though I personally am hoping for a bookstore job...

Little Bagel said...

Haha, now that you mention it - I would love working at the Tattered Cover and getting their discount. *Silver Lining!*

Unknown said...

Well then, I say you have sort of karma magnet bagel

Though I agree, silver lining! Gives you more time to find an apt, spend time with mom, take an extra long bar trip, enjoy the last long vacation of the next very long foreseeable future and read all those books you never got a chance to read before!

Haa haa, want to do a belated birthday (post bar) in Vegas? Maybe you can double your stipend ;)

Ginny said...

I want in on the Tattered Cover plan!

Emily said...

Sorry about this, Bagel. I'm sure you'll manage the unexpected bump...and maybe you'll learn to relax! We can learn together. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not totally sold that you are such a qualified waitress... have you ever waitressed?

Is there something you could do this summer, even as a volunteer, that would further your skill set? Like work in a company that is the kind your firm would represent, or something? (If you were representing drug companies, for example, it would be a good idea to start learning about the drug development process...)

Katie said...

as an unemployed 3L with potential months upon months of "vacation" ahead of me, i am rolling my eyes at you. :-P